KMPlayerㅣForum
Korean Download Skins Testimonials User Map RSS
Post problems you have when using kmp.
View First Unread   Thread Tools Linear ModeHybrid ModeThreaded Mode
 
Posts:  n/a
#1 | Link | KMPlayer - GPL Violation, Posted 11-19-2005
I have heard that there is evidence that KMPlayer actually uses GPL:d
software in the code, although KMPlayer neither is open source, under GPL
or has any notice about the included code in any form of EULA or such.

Is this true?
The sources tell that it is easily detectable that there is code from a
GPL:d project by examining the memory dumps of KMPlayer.
 
Posts:  n/a
#2 | Link | Posted 11-19-2005
> KMP did not include GPL codes or binary within its executable file

It might be linking to the code dynamically, but that's the same thing if you are distributing and using GPLed binaries from your program.

And what about the resizing and effect pixel shaders copied from mpc as is? Even my stupid comments are there. The shader editor looks damn familiar too.
 
Posts:  n/a
#3 | Link | Posted 11-19-2005
Seems the authors of KMPlayer don't understand the GNU General Public License then, if it's true what is claimed.
z's Avatar
- Panthera tigris -
 
Join Date:  Jan 1970
Location:  Heaven
Posts:  7,280
#4 | Link | Posted 11-19-2005
You can't say that it's a just copy of mpc because the interface is almost same. If you wonder what I'm saying, just looking system filter manager in kmp, its interface is almost the same as radlight's filtermanger. More than this, there are so many similar interfaces to others within kmp. and the developer do not hide any kind of internal library usage or etc. Every parts which were borrowed from external, though it does not essentially need to run kmp, were self-explanatory in preferences. If then, are you asserting that every part of kmp is just linked dynmacially from various source? I've already described that kmp could run by standalone. You can verify it to delete every components except the main executable file. Shader implementation is definitely originated from mpc, and actually there are many techinical references from mpc. The developer always said that mpc is the most techinaclly advanced and has a damn good idea built-in. To borrow an idea is one thing, to copy is another. But this does not mean that just linked or copyed the fruit of your efforts. About the shader codes, I have no idea it's a part of mpc written in c++ but it's managed in registry in kmp. (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KMPlayer\KMP2.0\Shader List)

I've heard that you've email twice him before. As for the developer, he was really eager to talk with you in respect of your knowledge in this field. but he's not good at english. that's why his reply was so late. he'd written a letter twice to you, but there was no reply according to him.

And I'd like to say that I'm also your fan. The developer had said that if you do not want your filters are packed in kmp, he'll remove it from kmp. I don't know what kind of letter from someone who are saying about kmp makes you angry, but you should know that he had a malicious purpose to the developer of kmp.

As a translator to english of kmp, I've referred to your program so much. Because english is not first language, as you can see my clumsy expression. It could increase your suspicion but I couldn't help it.
If you have a mind to solve the displeasure between us, tell me what we should do for you. Actually, the developement of kmp almost reaches a final stage, as he spent his time to do the work for hobby. Accordingly, this could be nothing but consumptive under current surroundings. But with respect to your contribution in the field of player, I'll be all ears to you.
Do to others as you would be done by. Luke 6:31
READ THIS FIRST BEFORE POSTING !!!
 
Posts:  n/a
#5 | Link | Posted 11-20-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by z
You can't say that it's a just copy of mpc because the interface is almost same. If you wonder what I'm saying, just looking system filter manager in kmp, its interface is almost the same as radlight's filtermanger.
And by looking at the pan and scan menu or shader compiler dialog, it is almost the same as mpc's! This is of course nothing bad thing, it's just the idea, but the code behind them must be also very similar, if not the direct translation of c++ to delphi. Just like renaming the variables and functions, translation to another programming language is a derivative work of the original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z
I've already described that kmp could run by standalone. You can verify it to delete every components except the main executable file.
Sure, it can run that way. But the fact is, kmplayer is distributed with those dlls, without any notice about their origin, or the text of the GPL, or the necessary source code which is always required if there were changes or updates to it. I just can't believe those static libs mpc links could be compiled and linked dynamically without any modification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z
About the shader codes, I have no idea it's a part of mpc written in c++ but it's managed in registry in kmp. (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KMPlayer\KMP2.0\Shader List)
The source of pixel shaders is just like any other source code, it has an author who holds the copyright and a license what tells under what conditions it can be reused. It may be in the registry for kmplayer, but it can also be found inside the exe, in a closed source exe (GPL violation), and without any copyright notice (copyright violation).
Quote:
Originally Posted by z
I've heard that you've email twice him before. As for the developer, he was really eager to talk with you in respect of your knowledge in this field. but he's not good at english. that's why his reply was so late. he'd written a letter twice to you, but there was no reply according to him.
I receive lots of viruses and jusk mail, might have been deleted accidentally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z
And I'd like to say that I'm also your fan. The developer had said that if you do not want your filters are packed in kmp, he'll remove it from kmp.
The correct way would be to follow the rules of the license. Linking dynamically to dlls is a gray area, but in this case it does not happen by chance, they are packed into the installer/zip with a clear intent to be used by the exe. You have to realize kmplayer would not be the same without other people's work. Not just mine, there are sevaral libs my filters wrap written by other programmers who have also released their code under the GPL because they believed it will do good for the open source community. Including them in a closed source player means their code has reached a dead end.

P.S.

RadGTSplitter.ax is illegal.
z's Avatar
- Panthera tigris -
 
Join Date:  Jan 1970
Location:  Heaven
Posts:  7,280
#6 | Link | Posted 11-20-2005
Quote:
the code behind them must be also very similar, if not the direct translation of c++ to delphi. Just like renaming the variables and functions, translation to another programming language is a derivative work of the original.
I've already told you that the similar interface and my referrence of translation could cause misunderstanding. If you are demanding on this, I have no mouth to say. But, I must say that code conversion is the most stupid thing. And are you really sure to believe that code conversion is so easy to adjust between other languages? Don't you think it's just wasting time? I don't understand why you are saying so. (Frankly speaking, pan & scan section was referred to gomplayer in our nation. If you don't believe, it can't be helped.)

Quote:
kmplayer is distributed with those dlls, without any notice about their origin, or the text of the GPL, or the necessary source code which is always required if there were changes or updates to it.
Yes, it's an undeniable mistake.

Quote:
I just can't believe those static libs mpc links could be compiled and linked dynamically without any modification.
If you are saying mpc libs, what kind of mpc libs are you talking about? Do you mean your filters?

Quote:
The source of pixel shaders is just like any other source code, it has an author who holds the copyright and a license what tells under what conditions it can be reused.
Is that your codes? I just can't find any notices in shader codes.

Quote:
The correct way would be to follow the rules of the license. Linking dynamically to dlls is a gray area, but in this case it does not happen by chance, they are packed into the installer/zip with a clear intent to be used by the exe. You have to realize kmplayer would not be the same without other people's work.
Thanks for your notification but KMP is not for getting any money or fame. As far as I know, there are always temptation to insert adwares for money. And about dynamically linked library, although it's not the same as what you think, I agree personally with you there is an obvious intention to be used in kmp. But it's also true that kmp can be launched without them.

p.s. I'll be rather busy in my works for the time being. I wish you should be understood even if there were no response during my absent.
Do to others as you would be done by. Luke 6:31
READ THIS FIRST BEFORE POSTING !!!
Last edited by z : 11-20-2005 at 07:09 AM.
kyh96403's Avatar
Legendary Member
 
Join Date:  Nov 2005
Posts:  2,374
#7 | Link | Posted 11-20-2005
Oh... my god!!
Are you really sure gabest??
I have very respect for you.
Thanks and admire forever....

I have very poor english skill.
So I cannot explain detail situation.
Sorry...

Quote:
And by looking at the pan and scan menu or shader compiler dialog, it is almost the same as mpc's! This is of course nothing bad thing, it's just the idea, but the code behind them must be also very similar, if not the direct translation of c++ to delphi. Just like renaming the variables and functions, translation to another programming language is a derivative work of the original.
procedure TMainForm.ScreenSizeCtrl(Dx,Dy,Dw,Dh : integer;isabs : Boolean);
var
l,t,w,h : integer;
begin
if isabs then begin
FPanDx:=Dx;
FPanDy:=Dy;
FPanDw:=Dw;
FPanDh:=Dh;
end
else begin
inc(FPanDx,Dx);
inc(FPanDy,Dy);
inc(FPanDw,Dw);
inc(FPanDh,Dh);
if FPanDx<-90 then FPanDx:=-90;
if FPanDy<-90 then FPanDy:=-90;
if FPanDw<-90 then FPanDw:=-90;
if FPanDh<-90 then FPanDh:=-90;
end;
l:=FLastVideoLeft+FLastVideoWidth*FPanDx div 100;
t:=FLastVideoTop+FLastVideoHeight*FPanDy div 100;
w:=FLastVideoWidth+FLastVideoWidth*FPanDw div 100;
h:=FLastVideoHeight+FLastVideoHeight*FPanDh div 100;
SetVideoArea(l,t,w,h);
end;

procedure TMainForm.PanScanProcess(Tag : integer);
begin
case Tag of
0 : begin
FPanDx:=0;
FPanDy:=0;
FPanDw:=0;
FPanDh:=0;
if IsZoomed(Handle) then PersistScreenMax(True)
else PersistScreenMax(FPersistScreen>0);
end;
1 : ScreenAddSub(False,False);
2 : ScreenAddSub(True,False);
3 : ScreenSizeCtrl(+1,0,-2,0);
4 : ScreenSizeCtrl(-1,0,+2,0);
6 : ScreenSizeCtrl(0,+1,0,-2);
5 : ScreenSizeCtrl(0,-1,0,+2);
7 : ScreenSizeCtrl(-1,0,0,0);
8 : ScreenSizeCtrl(+1,0,0,0);
9 : ScreenSizeCtrl(0,-1,0,0);
10 : ScreenSizeCtrl(0,+1,0,0);
end;
end;

Upper code is my pan & scan process key function.
Is it same your code??
Pan & Scan is standard video player's function.
So appear and behaver is same.
Delphi cannot use VC++'s resource and c++ code.
Delphi is very easy making dialog(delphi called form).
So I make pixel shader dialogs own work.

Quote:
Sure, it can run that way. But the fact is, kmplayer is distributed with those dlls, without any notice about their origin, or the text of the GPL, or the necessary source code which is always required if there were changes or updates to it. I just can't believe those static libs mpc links could be compiled and linked dynamically without any modification.
Ok... I put text for DLL's origin and GPL document.
But I cannot use your code in KMPlayer.exe.
Delphi cannot link C++'s lib. And cannot compile C++ code.
Your filter is only recompile using VS 2003 by getting WINCVS.
I cannot modified your filter source code.

Quote:
The source of pixel shaders is just like any other source code, it has an author who holds the copyright and a license what tells under what conditions it can be reused. It may be in the registry for kmplayer, but it can also be found inside the exe, in a closed source exe (GPL violation), and without any copyright notice (copyright violation).
Ok... I put header("Origin code from MPC") in Pixel shader's code.
If you want to remove KMPlayer's Pixel shader code, I will do.

Quote:
The correct way would be to follow the rules of the license. Linking dynamically to dlls is a gray area, but in this case it does not happen by chance, they are packed into the installer/zip with a clear intent to be used by the exe. You have to realize kmplayer would not be the same without other people's work. Not just mine, there are sevaral libs my filters wrap written by other programmers who have also released their code under the GPL because they believed it will do good for the open source community. Including them in a closed source player means their code has reached a dead end
I cannot understand your document clear.
What is I have to do ??

RadGTSplitter.ax....
OK.. I will remove it in my program.
Thanks^^
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
erreur access violation goldo1978 Français (French) 2 06-06-2008 07:08 PM
Please Help: Access Violation zeyus Technical Support 2 04-10-2008 06:57 PM
Access Violation Rszutner Español (Spanish) 3 12-13-2007 01:46 AM
Access violation Peuj General Discussions 5 07-09-2007 08:30 PM
GPL Violation ? Prout Technical Support 2 04-28-2006 05:37 AM
Supported by PANDORA.TV
All times are GMT +9. The time now is 02:24 AM.
Contact Us - The KMPlayer - Archive - Top