KMPlayerㅣForum
Korean Download Skins Testimonials User Map RSS
Feature requests and suggestions to improve kmp.
View Poll Results: BookMarks.ini should use
just the filename 9 81.82%
the absolute path, including the drive letter 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll
View First Unread   Thread Tools Linear ModeHybrid ModeThreaded Mode

#1 | Link | BookMark.ini - please use just the filename, Posted 06-01-2008 Quote
This is a very simple feature request, and easy to implement:

Right now, in BookMarks.ini, the bookmarks use the whole absolute path and not just the filename. This means that if the path changes, the bookmarks will be inaccessible.

When burning a DVD with some movies and KMPlayer on it, it is impossible to know in advance the letter of the DVD drive in the computer that will play the DVD. This means that complete paths in the bookmarks file will fail.

Please store just the filename in the BookMark.ini file.

Also, please use the UTF-8 encoding instead of the current UTF-16. UTF-8 represents all characters equally well, and is also compatible with older text editors.

Thank you.
German moderator

#2 | Link | Posted 06-01-2008 Quote
I don't know if this is possible please do so.

Watching a DVD and making bookmarks. Use the drive for something else( e.g to burn). Insert the DVD into another drive and be able to access the bookmarks... should be great.... You don't have to remember which drive was used for which DVD...

UTF-8 seems to be a good idea

#3 | Link | Posted 08-08-2008 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastik View Post
I don't know if this is possible please do so.

Watching a DVD and making bookmarks. Use the drive for something else( e.g to burn). Insert the DVD into another drive and be able to access the bookmarks... should be great.... You don't have to remember which drive was used for which DVD...
I'm not sure I expressed my idea clearly:

So right now, KMP stores ABSOLUTE PATHS in bookmark.ini. That means paths like C:\Movies\Wedding_01.avi. Suppose I burn that movie to a DVD and delete it from C:\Movies.

The DVD's drive letter is D, so when I pop in the DVD and play the movie with KMP, it will read this from bookmarks.ini:
Code:
[C:\Movies\Wedding_01.avi]
That absolute path no longer matches any file. The path should be D:\Wedding_01.avi, but what if a friend's DVD drive is E:? The solution is very simple: don't store the absolute path in bookmark.ini, but store only the filename:
Code:
[Wedding_01.avi]
Quote:
UTF-8 seems to be a good idea
Thanks.

#4 | Link | Posted 10-08-2011 Quote
I too find this a better idea, however I recommend saving bookmarks into a separate "nearby" file with the video, just like the subtitles way. Then it shall be accessed universally.