KMPlayerㅣForum
Korean Download Skins Testimonials User Map RSS
Feature requests and suggestions to improve kmp.
View Poll Results: Bookmarks limit?
Keep the arbitrary limit of 20 bookmarks 2 4.65%
Remove the limit! 41 95.35%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 2: 1 2 >
View First Unread   Thread Tools Linear ModeHybrid ModeThreaded Mode

#1 | Link | BookMarks.ini - please remove the 20 bookmarks limit, Posted 06-01-2008 Quote
I just downloaded the latest beta (2.9.3.1431) and was reviewing some old clips to which I knew I had added bookmarks... but the bookmarks were gone!

After some searching on the forums, I found that KMPlayer limits the number of bookmarks in bookmarks.ini to 20 files! Will all due respect, no other media players impose this limitation, and there is no reason for it (see the zero-one-infinity rule). The context menu can show the last N bookmarked files from the bookmarks.ini, but removing bookmarks silently without informing the user is just evil. Many users put a lot of work in bookmarking the interesting moments in their vacation or family videos, and when they want to show them to friends, they suddenly find that old bookmarks had been wiped out.

Can the new development team remove this limitation please?
Last edited by dandv : 07-16-2008 at 07:28 PM.

#2 | Link | Posted 06-03-2008 Quote
cant see any reason to limit it. or possibly have a user definable limit.
- Panthera tigris -

#3 | Link | Posted 06-29-2008 Quote
I think it won't be removed until the performance issue is improved.
Do to others as you would be done by. Luke 6:31
READ THIS FIRST BEFORE POSTING !!!
German moderator

#4 | Link | Posted 06-29-2008 Quote
I don't really use the bookmarks but what's about a user defined limit. The user would know that theres a limit and if he increases the limit the performance may suffer. An "at own risk" feature.
Please read this before you post and use the Forums Search. Read other sticky threads, too. Thank you.
--
Impurities make things work and sometimes unique.
- Panthera tigris -

#5 | Link | Posted 06-29-2008 Quote
IMO, the feature of bookmark should be revamped so that we can export the bookmarks to an individual chapter file. Just lifting the bookmarks' limit is rather meaningless at this point. And the performance problem cannot be overlooked at any rate.
Do to others as you would be done by. Luke 6:31
READ THIS FIRST BEFORE POSTING !!!
German moderator

#6 | Link | Posted 06-29-2008 Quote
This is an even better solution.

#7 | Link | Posted 07-20-2008 Quote
There might be performance issues, I didn't experienced it (unlike with kmpcfg.ini). But I don't think the limit solves anything. Why add it?

#8 | Link | Good code should handle bookmarks for 100 movies just fine, Posted 07-20-2008 Quote
OK, so allowing bookmarks for only 20 movies is fine, but for 100 there's a performance problem? It's 100 movies times, say, 20 bookmarks per movie. It's not like we're dealing with millions of records. With all due respect, but the code for handling bookmarks may need some improvement.

I've never encountered this problem with any other video players. Is it maybe because KMP simultaneously hold all bookmarks in memory, not just those defined for the currently loaded movie?

KMP does have the feature of jumping to a bookmark in a movie that's not loaded, but I think very few users find that feature useful. Perhaps a good solution would be to load only the bookmarks for the current movie?

I am the bone of my sword

#9 | Link | Posted 03-12-2009 Quote
well, I don't use bookmarks either but I think it would be best to remove the limit and give us an option to set the number of bookmarks we have. And in the options, make a note to users that the more, the less performance I guess....
Best anime download site on the planet.

http://www.animebreaker.com

#10 | Link | Posted 03-12-2009 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellon View Post
give us an option to set the number of bookmarks we have. And in the options, make a note to users that the more, the less performance I guess....
That more bookmarks mean less performance is BULLSHIT. Let's be honest about this. BSPlayer does not have a limit on the number of bookmarks. ViPlay does not have a limit on bookmarks either. What makes KMP special in this regard?

The author should face it: either the limitation on bookmarks is useless, or the implementation of how bookmarks are handled, is crap.